Warm up Correctly – Mentally and Physically
- Jogging with a purpose
- Start jogging while mentally focusing on the task at hand; Your Mechanics and the Success of all Your Pitches
- Develop a light sweat [Layer up for cold days and progressively remove each layer as you become loose]
Finding Your Release Point:
“Dry Work” helps you find your Release Point.
- On FLAT Ground separate your feet at a distance to where you normally land with your front foot.
- NOTE: Mentally recognize you have your front foot on the ground BEFORE you explode with your arm.
- Slightly open your front toes, but closed enough to still feel the rotation of your trunk into the instep of your front landing foot.
- Without a baseball in your hand, pull your arm back, simulating (actually feel it) staying on top of the baseball.
- Developing your quick twitch muscles: Whip your arm forward, keeping your front foot in place, and staying LONG.
- Keep your back foot on the ground as you rotate your mid section.
- When your arm extends to the furthest point, SNAP your wrist downward.
- Listen for the “whiffffff,” out in front of your face versus the side of your face.
- EXAGGERATE your follow through.
- Try and have your throwing arm end up left of your front knee.
- Hold your position with your back bent, arm to your side, your glove open towards the batter, and face up with your eyes focused where you are throwing.
- I recommend about 10 good ones
Introduce the baseball – Fastball and Change:
On Flat Ground about 40 feet from your target [e.g., a catcher, a batting cage net].
- Same body position as Dry Work drill, but this time with a baseball.
- Focus on mechanics (release point and snapping of your wrist) throw 10 quality fastballs.
- Add in your change. Throw 5 quality changes from the same flat ground position.
- Alternate Fastball and Change:
- Recognizing a Change is a Fastball with a different Grip.
- Mentally focus on same arm slot, arm speed and same release point.
- Again work to get 5 quality pitches.
Move back to about 50 feet, remaining on Flat Ground. Walk slowly in a Karaoke Motion towards the target.
- Ensure your front foot is on the ground before you start your arm forward.
- Find your target, look away, begin Karaoke Motion
- Separate, Snap to Find Your Target, Pause, then Explode
- Work on a consistent release point
- Alternate between Fastball and Change
- Throw 5 quality pitches
Add Distance and Introduce the Curve:
Remain on Flat Ground, move back to 60 feet.
- Focus has to be a consistent Release Point and Proper Mechanics
- Find your target [your target is where you want the break to start versus where you want it to end up]
- Look away, begin Karaoke Motion
- Separate, Snap your neck to Find Your Target, Pause, then Explode
- Throw 5 quality curves balls
- Alternate Fastball and Curve to get 5 quality pitches
Simulated Pre-Game Long Toss –
- Start 100 Feet – Lengthening your arm throw 5 Fast Balls on a Line attempting to hit target in the air
- Move to 80 Feet – Again, lengthening your arm throw 5 Fast Balls on a Line
- Move to 60 Feet – Again, lengthening your arm throw 5 Fast Balls on a Line
- Move to 40 Feet – Again, lengthening your arm throw 5 Fast Balls on a Line
Now You Are Ready to Pitch: I find the mound a touchy-feely thing, but if you feel the need keep pitches to a minimum.
- Spend 10 minutes in the dug out getting ready mentally.
- Zone out everything around you [e.g., weather, the other team]
- Zone in on quality mechanics and SUCCESS!
Until next blog may I suggest you sign-up never miss another blog!